Skip to main content

Instructions to Self

When I first began posting on this blog I was inspired by a weekly horoscope that offered the following:

"...It's important that you do what you do best without any embellishment, pretentiousness, or self-consciousness. Don't you dare try to hard or think too much or twist yourself like a contortionist to meet ... expectations. Trust the thrust of your simple urges."

For ten months I worked collaboratively on a manuscript of imaginary letters with a dear, longtime friend only to eventually scrap it, or, let's say temporarily set it aside to age. We felt we could no longer move forward due to constraints that were being placed on the work from the outside. It was our decision that we were in fact twisting and contorting, re-writing and subsequently producing something that began to no longer resemble the original work. This simply didn't feel right. We opted to hold true to the initial intention.

I then began assembling a book-length manuscript of poems and spent another healthy stretch of time editing those miniature tales of family, but this time I heard my truest voice singing. Still, it hasn't been a simple process and with the re-writes many less than flattering stories have surfaced, riveted to the paper like tent spikes holding them securely to the earth. But the rough edges of the truth are necessary, so I let them sit there staring back at me like big-eyed watch dogs in a Grimm's fairy tale blocking the entrance to the riches. But this hasn't scared me off. Simultaneous with the retention of the muddy skin and scowling faces, there is also the paring away. In shedding is shaping. There is a beginning. There is a middle.

Editing one's work isn't done lightly. There is an audience of the muted yet ever present characters being described to wrestle with and, additionally, the discourse with an editor - other than yourself - to juggle and weigh. And then there is the final naming. This has been almost as much of a struggle as anything - how to pay homage to the whole, how to ignore the "little darlings" and find a cover that calls out from a shelf, from a reader's hands across the room, from a coffeetable where the last visitor placed it carefully and hopefully lovingly. You'll have to stay tuned for the book's release, or return to this posting to hear the final selection...

So, instruction to self. Hold and hold still. Listen and release. Know that the words will whisper and that the contortionist act really isn't as necessary as it feels when you are so tense that you can no longer feels your hands for the fists you have made of them. I have tried too hard probably all my life. Something keeps reminding me this isn't necessarily the road.




Comments

  1. Just late last night my body was experiencing the relief of a similar revelation, and no thanks to me or my writer's brain. just this sense of the only next sensible action: to let go. I cant even name the particulars, no desire even to articulate it within the self, but such relief.

    I love that as I get older my body gets its say and is becoming a saner ringleader than the most of me. An incredibly arduous set of turns, to put it mildly, you document here--how brave to fall back and listen. What joy could there be in "arriving" if the sacrifices shift the work beyond recognition?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Grit and Sunlight

What springs up: insistence in this persistent                                                 mother of mine (still breathing) Even busy ashes     from a rescued urn float up reconstituted as morning dew   She unfolds her tendril arms from shadow     (shaking just five days ago as if in temporary surrender)   (that moment when I am less certain of her longevity) this woman ever present     (anyone’s mother)    aging    when even the most spindly clover of her fragile skin                         captures the sunrise light like   anticipation’s shower      blood underneath all        humming bird or spores from her heart and in her mouth   inhale (frightened) breath     exhale grit inhale (certain) breath           exhale grit  

Open Mic, Cafe Babar

I remember arriving, not the prettiest but appealing  to certain bards in the back room, entering through  the Castro Valley corner door, walking the postage stamp sized  Cinzano bar curated by a man from Detroit who named  his establishment after a certain French elephant in a children’s book I arrive with budding consciousness around politically correct solidarity for disheveled neighbors, entering the cigarette lit night rising to tin siding ceiling to floor thumping insistence   Bruce and Joie and David and Laura and John, their ash and sweat accumulating as I waited patiently for my place on the crumpled sign-up sheet   Today, three decades later, I sit in a Santa Fe gallery named simply Here, and a poet reads to us of roadrunners and a bear and  a continuation of the call for preservation of our environment There is an otherworldly hum outside the window of leaded glass The owner sidles up behind me and pushes the frame down to contain what we came to hear I have applied lipstick

A Matter of Travel

Solstice, 2019, for Tracy 1. And cross borders we do often without leaving our houses. Our bodies dream of gardens. Our hands flutter as feeling exits as we press hard against the solid entry door.  I type the names of cities. My search reveals rivers,  airfares, temperatures  in July. 2.  Seeking sleep, I am transported through music piped into  tiny earbuds. While on an island my father has two seizures  in the night. His ten children fly to one another with cautionary fright, typing. Time zones vary from each cell phone exclamation. Two sisters, you and I, raise questions that barely touch down  for others  but I witness you. 3. By morning we’re assured was merely fainting, and I reconsider change of plans. No emergency to rush to his quiet side. I walk no farther instead to this table for eggs, an English muffin. Arrive inside my individual conclusions. Concern that happiness, once again, is quickly stymied.