Skip to main content

Inside Stories

Science or story or just the unfolding of the sound of the syllables:


I telephone my collage roommate whom I have known for forty years
but haven't seen for probably five. She whispers almost without effect
of the stage four cancer in the lung, near the heart, of her third husband.

There are scientists about whom whole plays are being written today.
There are dusty orange petals like tied tongues trapped behind our girlish
ears. There is the sound of no sound to know how to respond.

The confluence is profile, mine, and straight ahead stare,
hers, heard through the wires of San Diego tributary electricity finding
me in Santa Fe near a dirt rodeo, with all the things I could say.

Dogs and cats and no rain. A heat spell on her coast. My husband
plants displaced yucca spears in our side yard, willing them back to green
from cantaloupe grey. And I hear myself saying to her "he's doing to die"

as if she didn't already know this. And I prescribe wheat grass, carrots
juiced, medical marijuana as if I have a penny of a clue. I write
them both a postcard this midday, a blurry photograph of miniature erotica

plastic figurines. A small naked woman with black pubic hair standing
with both hands on both hips, defending her right to simply sun bathe
in her own backyard without a care.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broken Bits and Mending Tape

S acred stones roll around on the floor of my car, carried in over years of scavenging. Pocketed. Parceled. Placed on dashboard or grave.  Markers of present coloring past. The sun bathes the windshield just so and the secret messages written in mud or snow show themselves for the innocent blessing that they are. I walk into this side street cafĂ© with my bruised heart in a purple and black satchel and am greeted by a circle of banjo players and one free seat against the window. Chairs like we inhabited in elementary school when things were still made of wood, grafted together at the corners with metal, corners rounded and smooth. We kept our notes in desks and lockers, wrote whispers of names we adored on the plain brown wrappers around our math books. Took broken bits and mending tape, carted cassette songs of guitar players who have since died or changed their names. Like mantras, directions to the river canyon where we could picture the rough rope as magical swi...

Vessel

Inside I imagine puckered cups of butter   cookies nested    in paper that  releases a sigh   But instead there may be fiction   within   wishes never reciprocated   Playbill of redundant arguments   One black glove    found fraying   This vessel on an emptied  table   solo     temptation is labeled with  another’s name   Guarded initials as if carved in melting snow     A tool unsuited  to the task of   prying open  Not yet valentine

A Matter of Travel

Solstice, 2019, for Tracy 1. And cross borders we do often without leaving our houses. Our bodies dream of gardens. Our hands flutter as feeling exits as we press hard against the solid entry door.  I type the names of cities. My search reveals rivers,  airfares, temperatures  in July. 2.  Seeking sleep, I am transported through music piped into  tiny earbuds. While on an island my father has two seizures  in the night. His ten children fly to one another with cautionary fright, typing. Time zones vary from each cell phone exclamation. Two sisters, you and I, raise questions that barely touch down  for others  but I witness you. 3. By morning we’re assured was merely fainting, and I reconsider change of plans. No emergency to rush to his quiet side. I walk no farther instead to this table for eggs, an English muffin. Arrive inside my individual conclusions. Concern that happin...