Skip to main content

Soliloquy
















1.

In the music is a trumpet. In the trumpet, a man’s breath. The night is littered
with secrets. The path through the dark is lined with manicured hedges
which someone has trimmed to resemble the cursive letters of the alphabet.
Gardener infatuated with the beginning and the end.

In the middle is a lone violin. The breath of the instrument is tainted
with the death of a child that we realize is the fault of the crowd.
The crowd hold their hands slack against their ears. I am hungry.
The trumpet is playing faster.

Metal shears are found in a body of water. The innocent, put on trial.
The crowd has carried a piano into the court room and are splintering it
into firewood to burn on the lawn. The final breaths of the sound nearly
exhausted, leave only the single horn

of a barge on the water. Crawling. We have made our way finally to the table
to dine. We attempt to fabricate orchestra with utensils, beating the surface
where the child once ate alongside us before she was carried away. Night
is inevitable.


2.

A man tips his instrument to eject its plug of saliva. The hearts of the crowd
count themselves fortunate. I am home, safe, in the shower. In the shower
are bottles of honeysuckle and images of waterfalls.

I hum a little as I soak my back and my legs. These limbs will carry me
many more years. My husband plays the music again with its pluck

of wind. With the sorrow of bells and the long walk of children
toward the man holding his breath as if cupping a hummingbird.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broken Bits and Mending Tape

S acred stones roll around on the floor of my car, carried in over years of scavenging. Pocketed. Parceled. Placed on dashboard or grave.  Markers of present coloring past. The sun bathes the windshield just so and the secret messages written in mud or snow show themselves for the innocent blessing that they are. I walk into this side street café with my bruised heart in a purple and black satchel and am greeted by a circle of banjo players and one free seat against the window. Chairs like we inhabited in elementary school when things were still made of wood, grafted together at the corners with metal, corners rounded and smooth. We kept our notes in desks and lockers, wrote whispers of names we adored on the plain brown wrappers around our math books. Took broken bits and mending tape, carted cassette songs of guitar players who have since died or changed their names. Like mantras, directions to the river canyon where we could picture the rough rope as magical swi...

Vessel

Inside I imagine puckered cups of butter   cookies nested    in paper that  releases a sigh   But instead there may be fiction   within   wishes never reciprocated   Playbill of redundant arguments   One black glove    found fraying   This vessel on an emptied  table   solo     temptation is labeled with  another’s name   Guarded initials as if carved in melting snow     A tool unsuited  to the task of   prying open  Not yet valentine

A Matter of Travel

Solstice, 2019, for Tracy 1. And cross borders we do often without leaving our houses. Our bodies dream of gardens. Our hands flutter as feeling exits as we press hard against the solid entry door.  I type the names of cities. My search reveals rivers,  airfares, temperatures  in July. 2.  Seeking sleep, I am transported through music piped into  tiny earbuds. While on an island my father has two seizures  in the night. His ten children fly to one another with cautionary fright, typing. Time zones vary from each cell phone exclamation. Two sisters, you and I, raise questions that barely touch down  for others  but I witness you. 3. By morning we’re assured was merely fainting, and I reconsider change of plans. No emergency to rush to his quiet side. I walk no farther instead to this table for eggs, an English muffin. Arrive inside my individual conclusions. Concern that happin...